What’s in a name?
The word “liberal” is derived from the same root as the word “liberty.”
The word “conservative” comes from the same root as the word “conservation.”
“Democrat,” of course, is derived from “democracy,” meaning “rule by the people.” That’s using the Greek root “demos” for “the people.”
“Republican” is derived from “republic,” also meaning a form of government in which the ultimate authority rests with the people. It uses the Latin root for “the people,” as in the word “public.” (Those Romans loved to copy the Greeks.)
I don’t know. It seems to me we all started from the same place. And we’re not that different. So, what are we arguing about? Why is there so much heat and so little light? Why such a need to vilify the other side? To make it sound like, if they win, it will be the end of the world? (It won’t, you know, because we are the people, and we won’t let it happen.)
After 9/11, we saw a lot of the slogan, “united, we stand.”
You know how the other half of that goes… Yeah, that’s right:
Divided, we fall.
I’m not talking about silencing dissent, here. We’re never all going to agree, and the day we stop speaking our minds, or stop being allowed to speak our minds, will be a dark day indeed. But with any freedom (of speech, for example) comes responsibility (to at least try to communicate, in this case).
There will always be differences of opinion in any large, diverse group of people. There will always be conflicting interests. But we ought to be able to talk about these things – really talk about them, in clear, honest, practical terms.
The essence of government by the people should be that a group of elected representatives -representing all the conflicting interests – gets together to talk things out, honestly, respectfully, and in good faith. And –yes- they have to be willing to compromise, if they’re ever going to be able to balance those conflicting interests. The idea that one side can “win” at the ballot box with 52% of the vote and thereby get everything its own way, ignoring whatever the other 48% wants, is as destructive as it is absurd. It pretty much guarantees that the other side is going to get mad, rally, and come back to “win” the next election and stick it right back to them. The U.S. government is not a football, guys. This isn’t a game.
Divided, we fall…
I really don’t want to think that I might be watching the “fall” of the United States of America, but I don’t like what I’m seeing (or hearing). Has there ever been a time in our history when our political leaders were so rigidly and uncompromisingly divided? As an advocate of clear communication, I am appalled by the dearth of civil discourse, the scarcity of honest efforts at persuasion, the stunning lack of simple, clear communication with respect to anything concerning politics in this country.
I, for one, am sick of it.
And, frankly, I’m a little bit scared.