Pushing Back the Darkness

Dark SeaIn my heart I am dedicated to the effort of pushing back the darkness, or at least holding it at bay. By darkness I don’t mean some kind of ultimate evil that’s at war with the light. I only mean all the subtle and not-so-subtle ills that afflict the world at the hands of humankind. Some are the result of deliberate, willful, cynical actions; some are unintentional or even unwitting. I mean all the products of ignorance, intolerance, and indifference. Of self-importance, selfishness, and greed. Of fear and hatred and misunderstanding. Of any other negative conditions or motivations that I have, for the moment, forgotten. I say “effort” because that’s all any one heart can promise. The dark tide seems so strong sometimes, so big, and what any one person can do alone so small. Some people have strong arms and hands and backs to work with. Others have the courage and charisma to stand up in front of groups and lead them. Mostly what I have is words. I can send them out into the darkness in the hope that they may touch other hearts. I believe there is hope if we work together.

• G M Barlean

April 1, 2015 at 9:25 pm Reply

So beautifully said.

• cwuenschell@gmail.com

April 1, 2015 at 10:03 pm Reply

Thanks, Gina.

• Carrie Rubin

April 2, 2015 at 12:20 am Reply

I listen to the news in the morning while I read the paper and have my morning tea, and by the time I’m done, my heart is already heavy. It gets worse the older we get, I think. I suppose when we’re young, our egocentrism insulates us a bit. Not that that’s good either, but if we’re not careful, we can easily get dragged down and let the horrors spill into our own world.

Very heartfelt post.

• cwuenschell@gmail.com

April 2, 2015 at 2:43 am Reply

I hear you, Carrie. I listen to morning news too, and I often wish I didn’t. But not to would mean that I’m ignoring things, so I keep on doing it.

• Anne Louise Bannon

April 4, 2015 at 4:02 pm Reply

Beautifully written. I think it’s when we accept the small meanness, the bits of selfishness that we rationalize, that it gets easier and easier to sink into darkness. Thanks, Carol, for reminding me to choose love, even when I’d rather not.

• cwuenschell@gmail.com

April 10, 2015 at 10:41 pm Reply

Oh, Anne, if I’ve done that, you are so very welcome. But I feel sure that springs from you.

• Robin Coyle

April 10, 2015 at 11:08 pm Reply

Adding on to Carrie’s comment, now the first thing I read in the paper is the comics. I can’t start the day with war, murder, child abuse, politics, whatever. Give me “Zits,” a cup of coffee and then maybe I will be braced to face the next darkness and hold it at bay.

• cwuenschell@gmail.com

May 11, 2015 at 10:03 pm Reply

Thanks, Robin, for stopping by!

• jmmcdowell

April 15, 2015 at 12:00 am Reply

Some people can fight the big battles, but not me. I do my best to offer a positive example for being a decent human being. Maybe it’s not much in the grand scheme of things, but I hope that some of the things I’ve said and done have helped.

• Carol Balawyder

May 22, 2015 at 9:17 pm Reply

Words are powerful, peaceful ways of touching hearts and hopefully they reach those who need to hear!

• Cecilia

July 13, 2015 at 5:01 pm Reply

I stopped reading news and carefully select what I want to let into my life. Your post just reminded me of my reason.